View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #48
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
This is a common issue and yes it is defenetly heat related. I had the issue on my 2017 and my 2018 but only on the passenger side. I've checked out many new Camaros's on dealer lots on hot days and some have it while others don't. And like so many fit and finish issues on these cars it just boils down to how the wheel of quality landed on your particular unit !
All the bumpers will do the exact same thing (expand when hot), but whether the bumper pops out is more a matter of whether there's enough friction to keep it from sliding sideways.

You'd think that the slop in the tab slots shown by Devnull's photos in post #9 is a design goof, but they are that way for a reason. Plastic expands ~90 ppm/C more than steel. A 2m wide bumper will expand/contract 7mm over its length during a 40C temp change. The stack up of tolerances between the bumper mold and body welding plus variations in temp the car must endure forced them to make the slots that way. So the ~3mm slop in each slot allows for the thermal expansion. If they didn't allow some, eventually the bumper or the tabs will crack, plus it would be hard to assemble the car at LGR in the middle of winter/summer.

Problem is that they designed in too much unconstrained movement. They could have pinned the outside corners with some push pins and just let the bumper bow out in the middle... but they didn't. Accountant weasels probably whined because 2 more push pins would take too much time on the line @ LGR. I wonder what the same area of the ATS and CTS look like.
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote