View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #27
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a Camaro 1LE on non stock tires competing against a Mustang on stock tires, and the review still preferred the Mustang in the end, as many others have as well. On stock tires the times would have likely been very similar.

Each day you get into your car you are not setting out to set a record track time, this is where the Camaro continues to miss the mark.
Well, both reviewers said they preferred the Camaro on the street...

Plus, on the street, to me at least, this is where the Mustang misses the mark big time. I got a chance to drive a friend's PP1, and it's a great car and all, but in comparison, the seating position and driving dynamics reminds me of the Maxima rental I drove for a week (which is a nice car by the way), except for the exhaust sound and when you rev the engine out. Once up in the RPM range, the car wakes up and now seems more like a muscle car, but then the suspension starts to show it's sloppyness.

Again, I love the car, I think the outside is beautiful, but even my buddy, who is a huge Mustang guy, said the Camaro's driving dynamics show within driving 10 feet down the road. Instant power anywhere in the RPM band, instantaneous turn-in, amazing steering precision, great steering feel, etc... The mustang's steering is a little bit vague even going slow, push it, and it gets worse.

The one thing I liked better in the Mustang is the initial brake bite. I don't like how GM cars seem like the brake pedal is dampened. The Camaro stops on a dime and has great modulation, but the pedal feel is better in the Mustang.

Now, if you are talking about street driving to go get groceries, yes, the trunk opening is much better on the Mustang, and it is less claustrophobic for sure. But on a windy back road, no comparison, the Camaro is a laser scalpel of precision and power, and the Mustang still has a touch of that muscle car feel (I can really feel the back end of the car flopping over in the turns, and you have to adjust the steering mid turn).

You can't go wrong either way, it's just a matter of what you want to do with the car, and what your preferences are.

BUT, I can't wait to see what the GT500 brings in terms of chassis dynamics. The GT350 was awesome in this regard (I never drove one, but based off of all the reviews), so I expect the GT500 to be on that level too, they have really been working a long time on this, so it's got to be right...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote