View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #46
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
Here is my spin on my recent experience. I ran Tail of the Dragon this weekend in my 2016 SS A8 and I want another ZL1. The 2012 ZL1 that I traded for my 2016 SS was so much better for about all the things that matter on this drive. Maybe the M6 manual vs A8 auto is the difference, but I don't think so. My runs on this route (about 12) in the ZL1 were comfortable and progressively more confident. With the ZL1, I gained confidence and ran (or probably felt) faster and didn't doubt the car, just my ability. The 16 with A8 in 3rd gear (about optimal for the Dragon) was great for steady state, but traction was was not good, OK but just not confident. The 16 works very well at a lower level for driving. This may reflect my ability and comfort with the A8 but I couldn't get into a comfortable groove as quickly as the ZL1. I told my passenger shortly into the first turns that this wasn't the ZL1 and stop talking to me because I needed to pay attention. Hard to explain but once again I miss the ZL1. The 16 SS is an awesome car but not what I can drive as aggressively and fun as the 2012 Zl1. The 16 SS with the A8 is tight but not predictable. It's just different from the 2012 ZL1 and at a lower level of performance.
Yep, I completely concur. I drove my buddies 16SS for the first time today and while it is substantially better handling than his 14SS it does not come anywhere close to my 14ZL1, not in the same ball park. He has the A8 as well and I felt like it was looking for the right gear the entire time I was in it and I was disappointed at times that it put me in a gear that felt like I was digging out of a hole on corner exit. If the new ZL1 is as much a leap forward from the current SS as the old ZL1 was from the old SS....this is only matter of whether you can afford the Z. If the old ZL1 is that much better than the current SS, can you imagine what the new ZL1 is going to be like???
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote