View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #141
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I love the arguments that try to oppose electric cars because they're not 100% good for everyone involved in making them from raw material to final production and not improving the environment the entire way, while at the same time, the status quo being worse is ignored.

It's not about replacing the status quo with something that's perfect. Just something that's better. Better not only for the consumer who can fuel their transportation from any number of sources instead of just 1 or 2 but also better for everyone sharing the same air ... and apparently all of those precious home owners who live next to roadways and can't stand loud cars because their houses were built with paper walls.

being on the side of the argument that says "I want combustion engines because I think it's more fun than electric" is not going to win out. Instead, of trying to hold back the wave of progress that is not going to stop, maybe work out the ways that you'll mod and wrench on electric cars and still have fun. If sound is the stick up your butt, i'm sure there will be some creative subwoofer or even just high voltage audio solutions to create something new to let everyone know (including yourself) that you have a massively powerful car. Things change, you'll be happier if you adapt rather than get left behind or run over.

edit: electric cars are good. Everything about ICE cars is already so anti-consumer that most of the hobby is still stuck in the 60's and 70's and 80's. And even though it's likely car manufacturers are going to make it hard to work on electrics even though they should be orders of magnitude easier, it's still going to be a better situation for diy and non-dealer mechanics. Gotta get in on that modding early since i'm sure they'll
regulate it to hell so you can't do motor swaps or change out the ESC with aftermarket under the guise of safety.

I'd imagine there will be a market for custom re-wound motors or motors with special 99.9999% pure copper wiring or some exotic new alloy and monster will probably go nuts selling magic ground straps and cabling. Bespoke speed controllers and such. electric cars should really revitalize the modding and diy aspect of this hobby so it's not just the really rich or those willing to be really ghetto that can have fun.
If electric cars are better, then we wouldn't need a ban on ICE cars.

My grandmother rode to school in a horse drawn wagon (no joke, 1910's era). Cars replaced horses not because they were mandated. But because they were better. Heck, the horse and buggy manufactures tried to ban the automobile. Improvements have been made and now we have cars that make those 60's muscle cars legends look slow. Will they eventually solve the issues that EV cars have, probably. But the politicians should let that evolution happen by itself.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote