View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #25
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Hmmm....not sure how you move a top (or a bottom) of a round object without automatically affecting both, as a relationship between top and bottom is always 0 degrees (on a round object).

In any case, if the wheel did move rearward, presumably this would have an affect on F to R weight distribution (and not in a positive way imo).

All in all, interesting discussion. Apart from rear toe part, not quite sure how all these $ translate into faster pace, or better tire wear, etc. Cheers!
I could have detailed it a bit better, for sure. The tire goes where the knuckle places it. And it's the knuckle that tilts. Given enough change, the relationship of the tire, within the fender, will start to change. Small changes might not be visible. I think the caster will change faster by moving the radius rod vs moving the upper strut mount. Caster is not a measurement of any of the tire's geometry, but of suspension geometry. As seen in the picture above, the caster line does not necessarily intersect at the contact patch, depending more or less on the amount of caster. On my Gen5, I once had Moreno camber plates that would allow me to add positive caster by rotating the plate. With the Moreno design I would have to give up max negative camber to get more positive caster, but never the less, more positive caster was obtainable at the top of the strut. Atleast with the Vorshlag Gen6 camber plates, as in Scargoes case, there is no compromise, you can have max camber and more caster.

Here is my 1LE, +7.2* top pic, +9.0* bottom. notice the gap at the front of the tire to the fender edge. The tire is pulled forward with the +9.0*. All of my caster gain is done at the radius rod (Gen6 ZLE), but if I was able to add more at the top, again, as in Scargoes case, the top of the knuckle would tilt more, pulling the tire rearward.

Name:  IMG_0305cr.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  174.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0932.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  195.0 KB