View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #11
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I have had stroker engines and I wouldn't build another one unless it was for a tow truck low rpm application. They are old school methodology for a performance application. Todays small blocks are comfortable revving reliably, so I would prefer to keep the engine square. Also the Gen5 stuff makes plenty of torque and really that is mostly where your gains are with a stroker. If you want a larger engine then 427 is what I would be looking at but I don't really see it making much more power then a 376 unless you plan on spending a lot of coin on the top end of the engine to feed those additional cubes.
I did a comparison if I were to take my motor now (PRC Ported Stock Heads (12.06:1, 228/236-114 .635/.636, LT2 Intake, Kooks 1-7/8) and stroke it to the L8T stroke out to 400 ci:
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  206.4 KB
The window on the left is the LT1 motor, but you can see on the graph I just have torque, when you try to graph HP on a fitted axis it gets hard to look at so I just look at torque (I think its completely a waste of time and useless to analyze both torque and horsepower since horsepower is directly proportional to torque). The green lines is frictional consumed power, you can see the stroker at max RPM takes over 10 more HP to turn, and you can also see the torque increase at those high rpms where you are going to be most of the time hopefully is negligible.

Don't confuse the HP on the right axis, its scaled low because the green lines are only graphing the frictional consumed power.

I agree with you though, its completely not worth it, almost as not worth it as paying $2500 for headers for a extra 10hp.

Also don't forget, I didn't recam the stroker motor, I think you could see better gains if it were re cammed, the VE% on the stroker drops off 10% drop from the LT1 stroke past 6000rpms.

Last edited by cmitchell17; 03-02-2021 at 06:21 PM.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote