View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Advice on What to do With Engine

So I was going to ask in my other thread but figured I would start another one since it got so long.

So my stock intake valve seats all broke on my TSP PRC ported stock heads. I got them off and it looks like about 1k to put in oversized and hopefully better seats than stock.

My #8 piston has some knicks on the top of the piston as well as the head, but I imagine my machine shop is going to resurface them and maybe they will go away. I don't think its enough damage to the piston to warrant a teardown but I know everyone on the internet says 100% always tear it down, but I think you have to think about how I could mess it up potentially along with break things when pulling it out, not having enough room in the garage etc.

I was thinking of pulling it and doing a stroker and trying to get more displacement, but then I realized the astronomical price of that and realized that would never be worth it and also realized there is no way at least cheaply to do L8T hardware to increase stroke.

So now thats out of the equation it looks like I am just going to fix my heads and put them back on, measure PTV and clearances, wait a month for a cam, measure for pushrod length, wait some more, then pull radiator and swap cam.

Right now both heads are off, I don't consider it about half as much effort to pull heads as pulling the radiator. At this point I could still pull the motor but I just think it would be extremely pointless, yes it would be a lot easier degreeing the cam, checking clearance, etc. with the motor out. I've never pulled the motor in these cars but I can't imagine it being any easier than pulling the radiator, I would think it would be much harder disconnecting the compressor, trying to roll the car around (my garage is only 19 foot in length), crawling under pulling TC bolts and bellhousing bolts, etc.

The only think I can see as far as "upgrading" while I am doing all this work is to try to get a thinner head gasket and maybe gain half a point in compression, where my ideal goal in compression. I would love to have 13.5 or 14:1 and would run 100% E85 but people seem to hate hard on that idea, I plan to stay FI even though everyone is going to say turbo or supercharger instantly.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote