View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
numbersnerd

Drives: NGM 2018 2SS Convertible
Shift to Park error among other things

OK, literally just received my new to me 2018 1SS convertible today. FIL has had it to his local dealer for inspection and other items and been driving it daily to work out any possible kinks while we were on family vacation. Worst problem was a leaking valve stem on one tire. So he brought it into town this afternoon on a 250 freeway cruise. Joy! Took each of the boys for a quick ride and all is good so far.

About 2 miles from home made a sweeping left turn between 30-35 and after I come out of the turn the tach, speedo, and dash cluster goes dead and car goes into limp mode. Then a Stabilitrak service message pops up on the DIC. I dismiss it because, what else am I gonna do for it at this point, and then everything comes back to life. Already on the final stretch home, so we're just going in. A mile later I make a stop at an intersection and after I go through it the dash goes dead again and back into limp mode. Nothing is happening after that and not knowing what the limits of this mode are, I pull into a parking lot and decide to shut it down since I know I'm not in the road. After that big turn it has been nothing but gentle curves in the road, nothing more than 20 degrees either way. So while I might get turning causing a short somewhere, there wasn't anything really similar at the instances when it went into safety mode. Kinda perplexed on what triggered it.

Well, that was the last time she ran. Persistent Stabilitrak service required messages and now Action Required:Shift to Park. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to resolve, so there's no starting it. Weird shut down sequence needed to shut it completely down and not stay in ACC mode, trunk won't open with the door button or remote. Oddities like it honks like the key is inside when shutting the door, etc. Luckily I was able to get the top back up, but when shutting the door it might take the window 30 sec's before it decides to fully roll up after the door is shut. The parking brake service light is always displayed when it's turned on. The check engine light stays on always as far as I can tell. Couldn't get to the battery to disconnect it because the manual trunk key extender is nowhere to be found, so no attempt to reset the computers.

Finally got roadside assistance to dispatch a flatbed to take it the 3 miles to my local dealer. So no major inconveniences, just lots of question marks.

Like:
Possible that the slowly-becoming-infamous shifter sensor problem is throwing up other error codes and manifesting in all sorts of symptoms? Hoping that a simple shifter assembly R&R will cure the majority of this, honestly.

Or am I in for a long series of diagnostics, repairs, and headaches?

Any Ideas/Tips/Suggestions/Sympathy?
numbersnerd is offline   Reply With Quote