View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
So, you're going to toss out all amplification of the sending unit and the gain provided and go with nothing more than a longer and bigger piece of wire.

You don't need jack up anything at that point. Just make a trip to Walmart and grab a mobile antenna, some wire and some 3M tape.

I would think the whole point of the venture is to have something offloading your cell handling, and then to repeat it locally to your phone amplified, for use in low signal areas. Most of those devices I've worked with are all powered.
Pretty sure there is no amplification done by the myLink unit. Tuning to take advantage of the bigger antennae, maybe. But you will never be able to get a usable data connection through myLink to your phone without using the OnStar data. You have to remember these systems are now firewalled on the carrier side to prevent vehicle hacking. No unauthorized data on the 4G connection inside is going to be allowed to come from your phone thru myLink and use the carrier network. If someone does figure it out(which people have) software updates come out quickly to fix it or the carrier makes a change.

Now if you can tap into the signal wires for the antennae and keep OnStar connected, your phone will have access to that better antennae. But then you really haven't done anything different than a booster like in the OP, since you are loosing any amplification or tuning done by myLink. Sorry I might not have been clear in my first post.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote