View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
I myself have not run the LS7 lifters, but have seen so many people with issues I decided to go with Johnson 2110s in my build.

As my tuner described it - “the LS7 lifter is just fine for the application it was designed for, sub-600” lift cams under 7000rpm. That is the application in which they were designed & warrantied at and are not designed to do anything beyond that”. The factory LS7 cam is only .590 lift just FYI

This is not the area to save money on a build - best case scenario if you loose a lifter it will need torn down to at least the cam, however more than likely you will pump a bunch of metal thru the bearings when the rollers fail (this is the thing that is common on the LS7 lifter, the roller seizes on the axle and it grinds the cam up).

The Johnson LinkBar Short Travel (2116LSR) is what GM uses on the COPO engine, you can get a 2110 which is their standard travel lifter but is still considered a low leak down lifter vs the GM lifters. They do make their own short travel version called a 2110R, or you can get into linked style to getaway from the trays all together with 2116L or the Race Versions of 2116LSR.

I see a lot of people spend a lot of money on super chargers, meth systems, strokers, etc.... and put in the $125 lifter and 5/16” pushrods. If you look on CorvetteForum there are a lot of failures, the Johnson lifters are the ones they end up going to on the next build
Ive always consindered the johnson lifters if i was to do a heads cam car, i was considering the ls7 lifters for something small like you mentioned. A baby cam spinning at 7k or less.

Now I do wonder how the gm performance 88958689 lifters compare as supposedly they are rated for high rpm applications.

Thanks for the insight btw.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote