View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #19
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
The new style flapper panel has an extra plastic support. As part of the TSB, the rear window regulators need to be changed. If you don’t want to pay $1600 dollars, forget about the window regulator and snip off the extra support on the new flapper. Replace and be done with it for a few years. $1600 is a rip off...
In case you're wondering what the windows have to do with it, the 'fix' for the problem was to add another clip to the top trim piece that contains the sliding cover. The extra clip limits the amount of flex the trim piece sees, lessening the chance of damage to the sliding cover. That clip goes into a redesigned window regulator beneath the trim piece, which has an additional slot to hold the added clip. If you do not replace the regulators also, there is no additional support for the new trim pieces.

I believe I saw new GM trim piece assemblies with the sliding cover available on line for about 80 to 90 bucks each. I have taken mine off and on and it is definitely something that does not require a trip to a mechanic. But a DIY window regulator swap will depend on your level mechanical ability. I've done them before on other cars, it's not impossible.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote