View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #3531
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I agree that an lt5 zl1 would obviously gain weight and price, but it would still be cheaper to actually get a hold of than equivalently optioned/packaged gt500s even if both models of zl1 went up by 10k. My guess would be a defined lt5 if it happened at all.

Gaining 100 pounds similar to the zr1 wouldn't be unrealistic, also trim for trim the zr1 didn't quite gain 100 pounds, but it could possibly be slightly less as the zr1 had a lot of cooling over the z06 that needed to be added, where as the zl1s already had the appropriate cooling, though the zr1 also had some carbon fiber bits to make up for some of the gained weight so that might be a moot point.

Still a 3900lbs zl1 1le and 4000lbs zl1 isn't 4200 pounds bad. I think an lt5 zl1 would clean sweep a gt500 on a track but would still lose in a straight line due to all the torque management and protections a stock zl1 has that limit it's ability.
I doubt there would be any weight gain at all. It isn't like going from NA to a blower. It would simply be going from one blower to another one. Any weight gain would be minimal. Maybe a few extra pounds for bigger brakes to increase the stopping power to a level more appropriate for an extra 100 HP. And maybe a few extra pounds for extra cooing. But nothing significant. And I'm sure GM would find a way to distribute that weight thru the car so it wouldn't be front heavy like the GT500.

I don't think the ZL1 needs the LT5 specifically. But a cheap version of it would be nice. Like a LT4.5, lol!! The ZL1 does not need 750 HP if you ask me. With it's balance and looking at how well it was developed and made I'm willing to bet that it would beat the competition at everything if it had 700-725 HP. And considering that the Camaro community constantly walks around talking about how the ZL1 (as amazing as it is) isn't worth MSRP, I doubt they would make enough money to justify building it. Here we have the best performing car for the money on the planet and outside of GM you'd have to spend over $90K just to beat the car yet all I hear is people saying "oh I can get a brand new fully optioned ZLE for $60K OTD". So I say leave the car alone. I'd hate to see GM put time and effort into building an even better ZL1 and then these goons not wanna spend money on it and end up putting the Camaro in a bad financial spot.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote