View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 05:52 AM   #16
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
It's actually fun and a totally different challenge driving fast in the rain while maintaining control of the vehicle. That being said I do prefer the dry.

Wheels and tires are the best first upgrade for autocross. If you intend to run the car in F-Street you must maintain the stock wheel width, but you can change the diameter by +/1 1 inch, and the offsets can vary by +/- 7mm, tires must be 200 treadwear or higher, but you can put whatever size tire will fit the stock wheel width. You can remove or replace 1 swaybar in FS, not both. Other suspension modifications are limited to changing shocks or struts. Allowed mods for street classes are very limited, but its still super competitive and a lot of fun. I suggest you start there and then if you decide you have to do more to the car you can move to something like CAM class where mods are pretty much unlimited, but things get really expensive really fast there.

Co-Drivers are always welcome. Has she autocrossed before? If not even though she has other motorsports experience she should still sign up as a novice, and if the instructor signs off on them knowing up from down and she doesn't want/need any coaching she wont have to after the first run.
Oh, I can see how the rain *can* be fun, but I'm from the UK, remember - I've spent most of my life driving in the rain!

Good to know about the wheel limits. I want to match the 1LE tyre widths. I wonder if the stock wheel width will take those...probably not! It'll be a while yet anyway, so plenty of time to research. Also, I'd assumed CAM meant the car had an uprated cam - which did seem an odd class to me. "Pretty much unlimited" makes much more sense. "Covering All Mods", "Crazy Amount Modified", "Cool Ass Motor". I dunno...seeing as it seems to be a lot of Corvettes, I'll go with "Corvettes And Miscellaneous".

I'm not sure if she has autocrossed before, but I'd put her in Novice anyway as I feel that's the place to start regardless. Does everybody in Novice run with an instructor for their first run, regardless of how many times they've been before? In other words, do I need an instructor for my first run next time, or am I signed off as mostly competent? I'm not really bothered either way as the first run is more about learning the track than getting a good time, but just curious.

Cheers!
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote