View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #13
95TA - The Beast

Drives: 2014 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance
Again, without a tune you won't see ANY power gains.

A high flow intercooler is fine if you want to add it, but again, it won't gain you anything without a tune.

I also agree that for longevity you don't do E85. If the factory were to have added E85 as an option, I would say it was safe, but for an aftermarket "add-on" I would not. Regardless if it uses factory parts, it wasn't offered from the factory stock.

In regards to your goals, a tune is the only way to net what you want. It is just the way it is.

You observations of them running at 110% of rated HP for 100 hours is correct, but that is on an engine dyno in "stock form". They do not do heavy-run endurance testing like that on a track or street. Certain vehicles do, but not anything with a LTG platform in it.

The real reason for the bad rap on these engines is the fact that they ran a turbo on a motor with non-forged pistons or rods. That is TOTALLY ignorant.

Also, to clarify, direct-injection is NOT the reason you can't run these WOT extended. It is the lack of forged internals.

Actually, run one of these at WOT for extended time and you will have ZERO carbon buildup. Probably one of the best things you can do to keep things clear, as low part throttle and off-throttle is exactly how the carbon builds up in the first place.

If you really want to be serious about racing like this, bite the bullet, pull the engine, put in forged rods and pistons, get a larger intercooler, put a tune on it and be done. It would be bullet-proof, you could have them add in a good 30hp/tq beyond stock and totally be in the range you want without worrying.

Also, you stated the injectors are not large enough. That is a totally wrong statement. There is a margin built into all production vehicles. You can easily add 100hp and torque without needing larger injectors on a forged bottom end. You will need a larger turbo for those levels, but that is it. Also the tune becomes critical if you choose to run the stock catalytic converter at WOT on a setup with that much power for that much time, but that would be the only concern with that setup.
95TA - The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote