View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #134
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
I think C/Ds criticism of the interior is BS. I personally love the vents, love the big screen and ease of apple car play, love the base cloth SS seats. The shallow center console is the only negative. Interior doesn’t feel cheap to me. It’s not flashy but who cares. I didn’t pay huge $ for this beast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Having driven a Mustang recently, I can agree, since that article is comparing it to the Mustang.

I mean, the Camaro interior is sucky compared to a luxurious family Sedan, with hard plastic everywhere, but if you are comparing it to a Mustang or Challenger then it's not really better or worse IMO. In fact, I find the Mustang steering wheel to be a bit too busy with too many buttons(the cruise control buttons were pretty awkward to use IMO), and the centre gauge pods are hard to look at, and I don't know why you would care about manifold vacuum on an NA car; on a turbocharged or supercharged car, I could see the value of a boost gauge. Mustang does have some cool interior lighting effects and the full digital tach is cool, so I give them credit when credit is due.

So the interior isn't luxurious, but you can get a lot of features at the end of the day, and that's what really matter IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Interestingly, I have received nothing but compliments on my 2SS interior in person so far. To me it represents a near perfect balance between features, character and price.

Yeah, it would be nice to have less hard plastic (although the 2SS /ZL1 is definitely better than lower trims), a bit more visibility tech such as 360 and front cameras, or perhaps a fully digital dash—but the seating position, the flat bottom steering wheel, the HUD, the entire ambience as a sports car interior that engulf the driver and passenger, plus those nice little things such as the vent ring temp controls or heated/ventilated seats more than make up for the shortcomings. I paid less than $45k for my 2SS new, added about $15k worth of power, handling and esthetics, and for this much it's absolutely badass, including the interior.

Just my 2 cents' worth.
As is expressed from these few comments, reviews are OPINIONS, are based in little fact and much emotion, and vary from one author to the next (even at the same car rag / site).

The first problem with reviews of the interior is that there is no actual set standard that they get rated against with factual data. "I don't like it" is just as useful / useless as "I absolutely love it" without data. I drove a 1LT Convertible and found it to generally be quite fine except that the knee pads were pretty tough on me. It was set up the same as my car except that my knee pads are padded (not just hard plastic) and feel VERY different. The car, overall, is absolutely GLUED to the road and outperforms my truck in every area. But, the truck has a softer overall ride. So, which one is "better"?

The second problem with reviews is that little context is ever applied by the reviewer. A Camaro should never be rated alongside a Town Car because they are built to serve two very different audiences and will have different features that matter in their respective contexts.

The biggest problem with reviews is that, in the absence of actual hard data, everything is based on how someone "feels" about something in particular. If you're 6'8", you care about leg room and it's going to be a big gripe across most vehicles you review. But, the person that's 5'8" isn't going to see it the same at all.

For me, the interior of my 2SS is quite comfortable. I would like there to be someplace for my sunglasses and my phone, but I can work with what I have just fine. Writing reviews takes very little skill. Learning how to read them is the hard part.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote