View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
My understanding is that the overfill for track use is because the car is wet sump, not because it has an added oil cooler. Thus, my inference is that a non-1LE car would enjoy the same benefit from overfill as a 1LE car. I would bet it isn't mentioned in manuals for the non-1LE cars because so few of them go to the track, and even fewer go frequently enough to the point that these precautions are needed to prevent oil-related failures within the warranty period.

The OP is in Los Angeles, so the car will likely not be operated under 30 degrees. I seriously doubt that a 5W40 or 0W40 oil will be any kind of a problem for year-round use. I am in San Diego and have been running this slightly heavier oil full time in my LS 1LE. I mostly follow the oil change schedule recommended by the car, and my Blackstone oil analysis results have been excellent.
I would think if the engineers at GM wanted non1LE LGX cars to add a quart of oil prior to tracking they would have included it in the manual. I couldn't see how they would miss it in these days of CYA. Will keep an eye on the oil pressure when I hit the track Monday.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote