View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
More rain/moisture related electronic issues – BCM short? – Need advice

UPDATED BELOW>>>>> NOT THE BCM!!!

So I have posted a few times previously about how when it rains very heavily, my door locks would stop working for a few days. After a few days time to dry out, they would fix themselves. I am 100% certain this is related to the rain/moisture after it happening so many times.

I live in central Florida, where it has been very rainy for the last few days, even more so than usual. After the most recent rain event many other things are now not working properly.
  • Door locks not working
  • Power windows not working – Yet the window will still lower a bit when the door opens like normal and close when the door closes.
  • Dome light not activated by open doors, can be manually turned on still
  • Radio and accessories stay on after the key is removed and drivers door doesn’t turn them off. I have to turn everything off manually to avoid a dead battery.
  • Chime will ring even with door closed now (in ACC position), unless car is running
  • Factory alarm will not arm

I just can’t figure out what is getting wet enough to cause this to happen, as I know of absolutely zero leaks in the car. No musty smell or extra humid interior, no fogging of the windows inside, etc.

One possibility I have thought of is the rain is getting into the wiring harness in between the firewall and door jams, causing a short to the BCM for those specific functions. Either that, or somehow it is getting into the door switch that controls the windows, which in turn is causing a short condition in the BCM. Another possibility, however less likely, is the extreme humidity is causing issues with the actual BCM.

Also, I am trying to locate the BCM in my car. I have no idea where it is located, and Google has been no help. I can find plenty of info for the 4th gens, but nothing concrete for our cars. So if anyone that has replaced or worked on the BCM on a 2010 SS can answer that it would be greatly appreciated.

Any direction you guys can point me in regarding how to solve this issue would be great. If this time is anything last the last few times, everything will slowly start to work again within the next few days once whatever it is dries out. Unfortunately I do not have the resources right now to have the dealer check this. I am fairly sure this would cost a small fortune.

BTW, have tested all fuses and in the process of testing related relays. I will update this thread if anything else stops or starts working

Thanks guys!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

Thanks to some very smart forum members, I have found the culprit. I still don't know how the water is getting in there, but at least I know mostly what is going on. This is what I found in the connector in between the driver's door and firewall area. I am going to try some WD40 for water displacement and then dielectric goo after it's all cleaned up. If this still doesn't take care of the connections, I may have to replace it. I still need to find out how the water it getting in there to begin with or I will wind up back at square one. That water in the 2nd pic is what I shook out of the connector.

Sorry for the sideways pics...
Attached Images

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 09-01-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: updated w/pics
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote