View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
MOUNTED!: ZL1 1LE wheels on SS 1LE (photos)

So I was lucky enough to be able to try a set of ZL1 1LE wheels on my SS 1LE tonight to test the fitment. A few people, including myself, were very interested to find out the specs of these wheels to determine if they would fit cars with mag ride, well, we know the answer now.

The answer is two fold, and not quite as straight forward as you may think. If you are running aggressive front camber (i.e. anything more than factory) they WILL NOT fit without a spacer. I say again, they DO NOT fit if you have an aggressive front alignment without the use of a 5mm spacer. I currently have -2.6* of camber and the wheels would not bolt up. I had a 3mm spacer laying around and it allowed me to fully bolt up the wheels, however, the lip of the rim just ever so slightly rubbed the strut. I made a u-turn in the street and the metal to metal rub was very noticeable during the turn, fine when driving straight. So what does this mean?

The answer is that if you do not track your car and you maintain the factory alignment specs, these wheels will clear just fine. If you run any added negative camber to the front, you will need a spacer.

For clarification the wheel specs are:
19x11 et11
19x12 et41

As these share the same front wheel specs as the Z28 wheels, which we have seen before, just like those they poke out quite a bit on the front. Add an extra 2mm from what you see in the pictures below to imagine how it would look with a 5mm spacer. Personally , if I were going to run these they would be a track only wheel and the poke wouldn't matter. I'd be hesitant to run these as a street wheel though, as you will get quite a bit of road grime being thrown at the paint.

One solution is the addition of the C7 Z06 fender flare like a fellow member did on his SS 1LE, this would nearly cover the poke at the top of the wheel. Another, more expensive option would be to try to fit the wider ZL1 fenders. Of course, this isn't an issue if you already have a ZL1. We already know how these wheels will look on a ZL1... *cough* ZL1 1LE... *cough*. However , for you ZL1 owners keep in mind that we do share the same mag ride struts, so you too will need a 5mm spacer, thus it will probably poke a tad on your cars as well.

To reiterate, below is an SS 1LE with -2.6* F camber and a 3mm spacer.