View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #31
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

We had a very nice owner pull in to our VIR Paddock with a clunking noise in his front end. I took it for a test drive and was able to produce the noise on both sides of the Camaro. The first place we went sere the endlinks. Those nuts were tight.

I even touched them lightly with an impact to be sure.. They didn't move. We went through all the ball joints. the lower ball joint on the right was easily tightened a little more than one turn. The lower ball joint on the driver's side was next to loose. It took three and one half turns. Test drive. No clunks.

After his next track session we had a clunk. The nut on the driver's side upper endlink stud was almost finger loose. Keep in mind, this is the same nut we tried to move with hand wrenches and couldn't budge it. The same nut I burped with an impact wrench. After one track session it was loose.

The flanged deep quenched nut is the issue. For a trackside fix, we used LocTitie, let it sit about 90 minutes and turned the driver loose. He completed hiss session with no clunks afterward.

The real fix is to use special anti-vibration washers on this 12mm stud. They are not cheap. You'll pay $1.25 to $2 for a single washer setup, but $8 to permanently solve a problem is cheap. Check out the video.
Hmm Thanks for the info I quickly checked a few other components but didn't pay attention to ball joints, I will check them as well.

I agree on the Nordlock washers, that's what I used on the caliper bolts since they're torque to yield type but didn't know the ball joints are also TTY. I also mentioned this recently :
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=85
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote