View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO-RS View Post
Having done a fair amount of research on all of these options before hypothetically settling on the Camaro, my vote would be to save around 10k and go with a GTI + tune. The Haldex AWD system in the R is FWD biased so ends up adding unnecessary weight for minimal performance gain. The LSD in the latest GTI should reduce understeer sufficiently at a fraction of the cost. You can easily reach R levels of power and torque from the GTI with a stage 1 tune as well. Happy shopping!

Edit: Forgot to mention, the BMW 228i could be a solid choice if you are looking to stay RWD. The OP isn't totally clear on what your needs are though. (I know you said no BMW, but not sure you have considered this one. Also the Golf R kind of rides the ragged edge of sport compact and German luxury, so the 228i doesn't seem too far removed.)
My level of caring about FWD versus AWD is pretty high...even if the AWD system is FWD biased I still value it because AWD has saved me many times in bad weather (snow)

In terms of that BMW 228i, working in the Nonprofit world is fraught with hypocritical people judging you for buying anything that even appears expensive (they think we should work for free but at the same time, rent ain't free). I have been able to get away with it in the Camaro because those same people go all "merica" when they see it and don't realize the 2SS is relatively expensive. However, that is in my current role and I want to be the CEO which puts you more out there for public scrutiny. To be clear, I made most of my money in my prior career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Is it crazy to suggest an E36 4 door M3?
Actually not as crazy! Being that it would be a significantly older car, that would take the stigma away. My uncle actually has one and I drool over it whenever I visit him. But when a "civilian" sees it, they wouldn't care so much.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote