View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
cchvyd28

Drives: 1998 H/C/I A4 Hardtop
Can't decide, mustang or camaro

So for the first time in my life I am actually torn between car brands. I have been GM all the way forever, owned 8 F bodies and many other GM products over the years. This summer I am looking to pick up a new car as a daily, and I am getting rid of my toy/weekend car and daily driver and combining them in one car. That being said I am going back and forth between the Mustang and the Camaro. I know seems weird, mortal enemies blah blah. But I actually like the S550, and my current daily is a f150 and I love the coyote platform.

My plan is to buy the car, drive it stock for a year then supercharge it. The dilemma I am having is one mostly of cost. Not only cost of the car, but dollar per hp. I am seeing the camaro maxing out at about 550whp before expensive fuel upgrades need to be done. Another $1,200-$1,500 in fuel upgrades and you can hit around 600whp. 650whp I am hearing is the limit of the stock internals.

I am seeing mid to high 600’s from the mustang with nothing more than bigger injectors which all of the superchargers come with, and a boost-a-pump. They do need the oil pump gear and crank gear replaced to handle the power safely, and that cost is about $1,200 roughly the cost of the fuel upgrades on the camaro.

Whipple got my hopes up for the camaro with their 600whp and 630wtq numbers, but they reduced this to 585whp after testing and if it is anything like the edelbrock kit they claim 580 but real world is 550 or a little less same as the magnuson.

So realistically the mustang is about $4-5k less to buy the car itself. Cost roughly the same to supercharge and upgrade to handle the power. And the mustang makes more whp.

The car is going to be an auto, 2ss or gt premium, and will be a 2016 if I can still find one early this summer or a 2017 if I can’t. So no 10 speed auto for me in the mustang. The drivetrain on both cars have been proven to handle lots of power with just driveshaft and axle upgrades.

My wife currently has a 2016 camaro 2ss 6spd, so I am very familiar with that. But I still need to get more familiar with the mustang, being I bought 2 new cars from my ford dealer in 2 years they may let me do an extended test drive or something.

So that all being stated, I have a few questions left.
-Is the A8 in the camaro going to be that much better than the 6 speed in the mustang? Or is the 6 speed better for a supercharger?
-Will the increased torque from the camaro and added weight of the mustang help to outweigh the hp difference?
-Which do you feel would make the better daily driver? ( I am a pretty big guy, almost 300lbs and 6’2”)

I know this is a camaro page, so I expect some biased answers, hell as I said I am biased towards gm myself. But I am going to be posting this on a mustang page as well to see what they say. And saying do what your heart tells you to do won’t really help me any.

Sorry so long winded, thank you for reading.
cchvyd28 is offline   Reply With Quote