View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #26
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Ok, how do *you* define "better"? Read my previous post for what I think are known good pads.
well you reply fast
I've just seen your 2nd post with the pads of your choice, while I was replying to your first message. I would never run those corrosive DTC 60 or DTC 70 on my cars but that's just me of course

Quote:
I think the takeaway here is there are different pads for different drivers. You like ST-43's, got it. From my not-too-frequent HPDE instructing, I've noticed that less experienced drivers tend to either under-use or over-use their brakes, and how they misapply their pedal leads them to prefer certain pads in terms of initial bite and modulation and overall mu. Everyone, regardless of skill level, has a preferred pedal effort level, and that's going to impact hydraulic ratios and even pedal ratio, though the latter is rarely adjustable. In any case, finding what pad *you* like is more important than trying to pitch your favorite pad to everyone else without knowing what they like.
exactly, that's the reason why I added "when it comes to stopping power, resistance to brake fade, longevity and ability to use on the street due to operating temps " if you bolded the rest of the sentence you would notice I share my opinion in the context since "good" is a vague term. But since the thread topic is about "track pads", things come to mind are : "longevity, cost, fade resistance, initial bite, stopping power" this may not be the case for everyone of course, I am willing to bet you it's the case for many track junkies at least for the ones I had conversation with

Quote:
Not everyone has the luxury to try out 20 different compounds to find what fits their brake system and their personal preferences. This is why I'm recommending we give the stock pads the benefit of a doubt; they might not suck as much as some are assuming.
I have to disagree here, if you calculate the cost of the pads and risks of having a brake fade (and ultimately the chance of total loss at the track environment,), it makes a lot of sense to have another set of pads. A pad that can last forever in street environment may not last more than a couple of events. This is counter-productive for someone who's trying to save money on consumables ..I would at least get a slightly more robust option. Same can be said for some street tires as well but I bet you know about this
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote