View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post

I'm sorry that magazine writers who drive 500+HP cars all day long think a car that does 13 second 1/4 miles is only "adequate". I'd like to take them back to the glory days of muscle cars and go head to head in a V6 Camaro against 90% of what were considered to be scary-fast muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. They might be surprised to find out the that vast majority of legendary muscle cars couldn't get into the 13's unless they were dropped off a cliff, even with proper slicks. They weren't that fast, just really loud and fun. I was there. Not only were the cars not that fast, the really scary thing about them was trying to stop them or go around a corner.
Bravo. Truer words seldom spoken.

I owned a new 69 Chevelle SS 396 when I was nineteen. Loved it, unfortunately ruined it by turning it into more of a drag car than a street car. Thirty years later I bought a basket case Chevelle project car. In two years and $10K turned it into basically a new, original ,SS 396.

I recall it's maiden drive vividly. Man! Is this thing ever front heavy! It makes great sounds but it's SLOW. And it doesn't want to turn or stop! Looked great in the driveway. Made cool noises. But it was really a disappointment.

Had a VW GTI in 2010 that could beat it in ALL categories, except for great sounds.

I was fortunate to have grown up during the golden age of American Muscle Cars. It was great fun.

Now in my sixties we are in the second Golden Age....I agree with COmaro; Lets ENJOY it.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote