View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #63
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Drive one for a week and lets see if you come back and still say its horrid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
You've never owned a Camaro of any generation. Correct?

I understand you dislike of Ed Welburn's high beltline styling direction. I'm very confident the gen7 will be a complete departure based on recent comments from GM.

The visibility isn't typical. I honestly don't notice it. Best car ever
Nope, but I've driven thousands and thousands of miles in Gen4, 5 and 6. The first car I ever drove was a Gen 3. Because I was lucky enough to have a GM company car for almost 20 years I was able to drive GM's Corvettes and Camaros and I drove a lot of them. And I've driven Camaro and Corvette convertibles on cross country vacations and been able to get luggage and two sets of golf clubs in the car (and yes that included use of back seat with the Camaros.

Again, no one should be thinking I'm critical of you because you don't find the visibility to be a problem. I've said "great" every time. But I can assure from experience the measured visibility of the Gen 6 is not good.

This thread, every month now, has been about why the sales aren't as big as the Gen 5 or as big as the Mustang. Part of the reason is because in making, and pay attention everyone THE BEST CAMARO EVER, GM chose to go very aggressive with the styling and with Ed Welburn making the decisions, that meant a slammed roof and a high belt with big wheels. That look appeals to a lot of people and particularly those passionate enough to come on this website and others. What many seem unwilling to admit is that a slammed roof car with a high belt line and a small trunk and no back seat (seriously, GM even admitted this one publicly) doesn't appeal to as broad an audience. It's pretty clear now that with a pretty big incentive on the hood, sales only blipped a little and fell back down last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
You do realize Number 3 has done more for this forum than the vast majority of people here? I don't think his liking Camaro should ever come into question.

He has a valid point, the 5th and 6th gens both have that "sitting in a bathtub" feel, and he's not that only one who shares that opinion. Most of the reviews out there comment on the visibility issue at least in passing.

In any case, I'm of the opinion that the 7th gen really needs to get away from the modernized retro look established by the 5th gen concept, so hopefully that, plus Ed Welburn's retirement, helps with the visibility.
Ha! Fen, no need to defend me. This is Camaro6. You are talking about Camaro5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
ummm, this is a Camaro forum.... if you don't like the Camaro then that is fine, I'm glad you won't get one.
Serously? You can honesty say you are glad I won't get one. Please explain that. I want everyone to want one. That's how much I love the Camaro. Not a specific gen car, but in general. If you knew my history and everything I've done and the connection of the Camaro to some very key elements of my life you might get it. It's an important car for me and I do know GM made some decisions that impacted the visibility for that sake of styling. I sat in too many meetings watching people explain that styling was the reason people bought GM cars. What they never talked about the is the reason why people DID NOT buy GM cars.

So I would bet you a large coffee at your favorite coffee shop that if you looked at the reasons people bought a Camaro it would look like this:

Performance
Styling
Value

And if you looked at the reasons people DID NOT buy a Camaro it would look something like this:

Price
Styling
Some level of Usability i.e. Visibility, trunk space, back seat

If GM is ok selling 60,000 Camaros a year then they hit the sweet spot.

If they need to sell more than that, then you can't do more performance or more aggressive styling. You would have to address the rejectors with the balance of the adopters.

Guys, I love the Camaro. I love this website for talking not just Camaros but a love of cars in general and Camaro5/6 has been the most active and enjoyable site I've found. It's why I am here too often LOL.

So if you are in a thread on why the Camaro is selling in low numbers, then you have to have an open mind on why others may not have bought or even considered one. Not everyone shares what is important to you to the same level or with the same priority. Otherwise you'll just be going, "wow it's the greatest car I've ever owned. I can't figure out why people aren't buying more of them" and you aren't helping identify how GM could help it sell better. And selling well with a profit is the only way for GM to continue to build Camaros.