View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
So I'll try and give a review now that I've got 6 autocross runs in on the Stranoparts sway bar installed and race alignment. This is my first year with autocross, so take everything with a grain of salt.

First, some good hard data to support my subjective observations. I started autocrossing at the beginning of the year. Here are the dates of the events and my overall PAX position:
5/22/16= 21/64
6/26/16= 33/55
7/24/16= 22/60
8/21/16= 21/57
9/17/16= Alignment and sway bar installed
9/25/16=14/60

So as you can see, I had been consistently around 21st out of 60. With two inexpensive changes, I was able to move up quite a few spots.

Now, onto video data. Yes, our course is very small. Unfortunately, our region has lost a few locations to hold autocross, and the current one does no favors to the Camaro. Small, tight, and low speed. In comparing data on the Track Addict app, I don't really see too much of a difference in cornering Gs.

July 2016 pre sway bar and alignment
https://youtu.be/sAArViWamJE

September 2016 Post sway bar and alignment
https://youtu.be/vrq5rB5GV0w

Overall, I'm still not backsiding the cones as much as I would like. I also took a few lines that weren't the fastest. I think going to Evo school next year should help with that, and I do feel as though I have improved significantly since when I started. I got a little sideways at the end of my fastest run today... that was a bit fun!

Subjective Data:
On the softest setting, the Stranoparts bar feels less stiff than the stock bar. However, the car behaves in a slightly more predictable manner. It felt a bit more neutral at the limit, with understeer occuring if I entered a corner much too hot, and oversteer happening in a very predictable manner with throttle input. I had the car figured out by my 3rd run of the day. It felt more balanced than before, and less prone to understeer.

Overall, once I get tires and wheels, I think the benefits will really show up. I'm open to suggestions and comments, so thanks for watching/reading! My goal is to encourage some discussion of modifications, driving habits of the Camaro, and techniques I can work on. I am working on getting a gopro for wide angle views.

Last edited by fighting irish; 09-25-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Updated video link
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote