View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #47
Vike222

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Coupe L99
MTBE

Well the answer to your question is Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether

I am old enough to remember Tetraethy Lead in gas and this was phased out in the early 1980s by MTBE. Both were added to gas to increase the octane rating and promote complete combustion. Then at the end of 2002 MTBE was mostly replaced with ethanol.

I guess that I am one of those people you (cornfield) stated in an earlier post that sat in a cubicle in research and was a Chemistry nerd who understands that MTBE and Ethanol have the extra atoms of oxygen that yields higher octane and promotes complete combustion in gasoline.

What really needs to happen in the gasoline industry is to find a gas that will have an additive that has a sufficient oxygen atoms in its covalent bonding chain and does not increase phase separation, yields a higher octane, increases MPG, promotes complete combustion, and does not degrade certain elastomers (rubber materials) in the fuel delivery system. By the way ethanol does actually degrade some elastomers LOOK IT UP!!!

Right now ethanol yields only two attributes (octane & complete combustion) and we the tax payers subsidize to keep this ethanol business afloat.

If all the farm land used the United States to plant corn were used to produce ethanol it would only generate enough capacity of 12% required for our gas consumption

Now it is true that ethanol may generate less emissions per gallon, but keep in mind it has about 10% less (energy) MPG. So you will burn 10% more of this product to get you to your destination than non-ethanol gas..

So in my opinion ethanol gasoline lacks 3 of the 5 attributes and does not meet my expectations and the additional cost say .20 per gallon (non-ethanol) almost makes it close to a break even cost when you consider the MPG advantage.
Vike222 is offline   Reply With Quote