View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
antimatr

Drives: 4 wheels + engine
Not that it makes much of a difference, but they were driving a 2012 Boss in those photos.

I'm not terribly surprised regarding the 1.5 sec faster time, considering the larger tires on the 1LE, the IRS and by most accounts I've read the Goodyear Supercar F1G2s are superior to the Pirelli P-Zeros that came with the Boss.

That said, I think I'd rather have neither (though if offered a drive in either, I wouldn't pass it up).

I like the 1LE, and what it's capable of, and appreciate the fact that somewhere in this country you probably have a shot a getting one around invoice (not in my area though, because every Chevy [and Ford, lest anyone think I'm singling GM out] dealership in my have proven to be worthless scum in my book, but I digress), but subjectively, I'm not crazy about the compromises made with regards to day-to-day livability over exterior styling, and I'm not a fan of the 2014 exterior refresh overall (I like what was done with the front end, hate what was done with the back), nor am I fan of the interior.

I also like the Boss, but I absolutely hated that it was made as a 'limited edition' 2-year-only model, and I'm pretty sure it gave more than a few scummy POS Ford dealers an excuse to slap an ADM sticker on the window on the ones they managed to get the equally scummy hands on. I realize what Ford had in mind when they created the Boss, but I wish they could have at least made the Premium interior trim available like on the GT; the base Mustang interior is a turn-off as is, for a car that sold for $40K+ even more so.

At the end of the day, I'd probably wouldn't be able to drive either car to its fullest potential, as I haven't seen a track and because of my desire to keep my insurance rates at an acceptable level as well not contributing to local law enforcement's revenue generation schemes, not to mention self-preservation, or the stupendously crappy roads and idiot drivers in my area, both cars would be wasted in my hands (I'll go so far as to say my own GT probably qualifies as such, as well), and that's why I wouldn't have either car.

And why did they have to bring up a Lotus Evora at the end?
Quote:
For both companies, I think the goal from now on is making the cars lighter. As fun as these cars were, we had that Evora there at the same time, and jumping back into the Lotus, all I could think about was how much crisper the response was. The thing is so much more connected that this feeling of connection actually takes precedence over speed.
Considering the Evora is what, 600-800 pounds lighter, ~6 lower inches lower, and nearly 2 feet shorter than either the Camaro or Mustang, not to mention mid-engined? Oh, and pricing starts at $68k? It'd BETTER have a 'crisper response'. OK, so maybe I wouldn't go with either a 1LE or a Boss, but I'd sure as hell pick both over an Evora...

Gone: 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HID/Security Pkg, Brembo Pkg, 6M)
Current: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Tri-coat Pearl, Driver Convenience Grp, Leather Interior Grp, 8A)
Future(?): 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (Hyper Blue Metallic, NPP, 56R, 6M) or Ford Mustang GT Premium (Lightning Blue Metallic, Active Exhaust, Performance Package, 401A Package, Spoiler Delete, 6M)
antimatr is offline   Reply With Quote