View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #34
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Aside from how snobish your post comes off with saying you "look down upon anyone that pulls head first into spots" (I mean REALLY?) In many communities, it's 100% illegal to back into a parking spot. Police officers need to be able to see your license plate, and here in Michigan we do not have plates on the front of our cars. Backing into a spot is considered attempting to "hide" your license plate. Drivers Ed 101 - pull front first into parking spots.
Not even remotely true. Call any car insurance company - see which they prefer. Again, many self-insured umbrella policies require you back into spots because you get a hefty insurance discount. The #1 danger factor is visibility. Please, post up the many communities where it is illegal to back into parking spots. That's a joke. The only time it is difficult to do it is in one-way parking spots where the lines are heavily staggered, which is maybe 5% of parking lots. That would make it extremely difficult to back into the spot, and since the spots are angled and traffic is one-way, it makes it extremely easy to see a car pulling up behind you. That's an extreme exception, and rare. Nearly all parking lots have 90 degree parking spaces, and they are 100% of the time safer to back into.

These are rare, and designed to maximize visibility to back up (and are typically one-way to eliminate the risk from head-first parking):

These are the norm, and are always safer to back into:

I see I've struck a nerve with the people that can't back up straight
ChocoTaco369 is offline   Reply With Quote