View Single Post
Old 05-08-2024, 06:24 PM   #14
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Yeah always upgrading something my friend. Welcome back to the board.

I think you’re better off scaling down the power a bit on the street and the Smoothboost is perfect for that. I usually run around 750-800 WHP on the street and the R888R is surprisingly good there (but louder than many would like). I think you’d like the 555R2 (NOT G2!) honestly and will give them a try myself at some point. But if you’re at 900 WHP on a Whipple 2.9, then you’re spinning it pretty hard and the drawback will be nasty midrange torque on the hit that you really cannot control…ask me how I know.

Agreed!
Interesting, it looks like a great product, but I'm trying to understand how it's working.

Having a quick look at the SmoothBoost website, all I can see is that it's electronically controlling the (previously vacuum operated) bypass. As we know the standard vacuum bypass is operating only at lowish revs (say up to 2000 rpm).

So to 'dial down boost' is the Smooth Boost now partially opening the bypass across the whole rev range? Doesn't that reduce volume in bypass rather than boost pressure? And what does Whipple think of this? Any issues for S/C operation/durability?
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote