View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 01:18 PM   #2020
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Interesting details, thanks for sharing. I knew that GM owned Saab at that point, it was just so weird to have a GMT rebadged as a Saab. Arguably, it was one of the nicer GMT360's, but it was solidly "Weekend at Bernie's" for the Saab enthusiasts. The brand was dead at that point.

From memory, please correct me if I'm wrong:

I recall the Ascender was an Isuzu, not surprising, GM and Isuzu have long established ties. I recall they had a heavy hand in the Gen 1 Colorado/Canyon GMT355. Collab on the development of the V8 Duramax. Powertrain sharing on the early 1st gen S10, and Isuzu had their own S10 twin for a long time, the Hombre.

The Saabaru was about the kinkiest automotive mixup I think I've ever seen. A Subaru wearing a Saab getup at the command of its master at the time, GM. Oof.

I worked for GM/Chevy dealerships when the GMT360 came out. V8 power out of a V6, 4.2 inline (Atlas, which we discussed above). It felt modern, sounded good, was a great size. They were extremely popular. Every one to hit our lot was sold within days.
You’re right! That’s why Subaru Ascender sounded strange to me. It was Isuzu Ascender and there was no Subaru GMT360.

I’m sure typing V6 was force of habit. The 6-cylinder in GMT360 was the 4.2L Inline, not V. It also got V8 fuel economy, which is why it didn’t stick around very long.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote