View Single Post
Old 04-30-2024, 04:08 PM   #154
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I reused all my bolts. From what I remember the kit will come with bolts for the lower arm lockout (where OEM camber adjustment is made).
Yes the 1 bolt that locks out the factory toe adjustment point on each side is included.

I would highly recommend replacing the 1 OEM outer toe link to knuckle bolt on each side as they're TTY. Also I'd recommend using the torque + angle from the shop manual (74 lb ft + 105°) rather than just 74 lb ft recommended in the SPL directions especially if reusing the bolts (which again I don't recommend). Either way, it is very important to put a wrench or socket/ratchet on these bolts regularly to make sure they're not coming loose to prevent a snapped bolt like I experienced last year. One more session on track that day and I probably would have crashed but I got lucky that my bolt snapped at low speed leaving a gas station that night instead.

I'd further recommend using loctite both in the hole and on the threads although it is not called for in the shop manual. I used orange because red is a pain to deal with in my experience. I went with about 100 lb ft with loctite (vs. 132 lb ft dry with reused bolts to reach the specified torque + angle) and they haven't loosened after 5 track days.

*Paint pen markings don't accurately show tightness on this bolt because of the stuff sandwiched in between so don't make the same mistake I did of relying on those...make sure to physically check bolt tightness.

My installer reused my bolts and torqued them "to spec" (I'm guessing 74 lb ft with no additional angle). He advised that it would be a good idea to replace the bolts eventually but he said he used red loctite and that they'd done the same thing before on other cars without issues. My bolt snapped less than 3 months after it was reused when the SPL rear toe arms with eccentric lockouts were installed. There was only evidence of red loctite on one side but apparently it was only used on the bolt threads and not in the threaded hole because the bolt on that side was loose too but it hadn't snapped yet. I also reused this bolt once previously (only the side that I found loose but not snapped) with the stock toe link when I replaced a failed rear hub; I torqued it to the previously mentioned 74 lb ft + 105° that time and had no issues but the stock toe links probably put less force on the bolt because of the rubber bushing.

11609598 is the outer toe link to knuckle bolt part number. You will need one for each side.
Attached Images

Last edited by cdrptrks; 04-30-2024 at 04:28 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote