View Single Post
Old 03-14-2024, 09:29 PM   #37
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
First time I will be trying this approach (having only used the "two person" method on my previous vehicles). When you say to watch for "when you've bled enough fluid," does that just equate to seeing clean brake fluid and no air bubbles?
Good question.
If you are aiming to merely bleed the brakes to remove possible air bubbles, then you are watching the exiting fluid for bubbles moving through the tubing to your waste collection bottle/vessel. Or if bleeding the brakes to move fresh fluid through the calipers, then you'll be looking for the color to change to the "fresh fluid color" which is usually lighter than fluid that's seen a lot of heat (though will depend on which brand of brake fluid you use).

If on the other hand you are wanting to flush the entire system with new fluid, then you'll either be looking for a color change in the exiting fluid at the caliper nipple (assuming there actually is a difference in color between the old and the new fluid), or if there is no color difference you'll have to measure the quantity of fluid you are collecting at each caliper. A rough target I got from an older post on this forum was to flush through the following amounts at each corner in the following order (RR 250ml; LF 250ml; LR 200ml; RF 200ml). You'll need to divide the amount for each corner between the inside and outside caliper nipple. And for some reason, bleed the inside nipple before the outside nipple.

Most of us who track the Camaro use Castrol SRF brake fluid. While I love it compared to Motul, it doesn't change color even after a season of track use. So when it comes time to flush it, you can't use color as an indicator of when to stop (thus the need to measure volume coming out).
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote