View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 12:26 AM   #12
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
So I was trying to get the cam out tonight to get a closer look at the lobes, but I can't get the cam retainer plate off, it broke one Torx bit and now I am scared I am going to round it off.

I really hope I didn't use red loctite last time I put my cam in, I am kind of thinking I did for whatever reason or I was out of blue because these bolts are definitely in there and I can't feel any of them budging. I am using a cheap HF Pittsburg T45 3/4 drive socket so I think first thing I am going to go invest in CR-MO impact rated T45 socket first and see if that gets me anywhere first, then think of something else after that. I double checked service info and it definately calls for blue loctite on the cam retainer bolt threads and not red, calls for GM PN: 12345382, which is apparently blue "medium strength".

Anyway, some of the lifters definitely have some roller damage as well. Some of them feel very non-smooth and gritty/grindey, and some feel smooth and fine. Seems like the ones that feel gritty/grindey have good looking roller surfaces and corresponding cam lobes and the ones that feel smooth pitting and wear on the rollers and corresponding cam lobes.

I also measured the lifter bores and they are fine, actually about .002 lower than the MIN diameter limit but I am measuring with snap gages so I probably aren't getting that accurate measurement to get into the thousands with snap gages and calipers. The lifter trays are also pretty loose and won't hold the lifters anymore, they fall out or turn side to side.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote