View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 07:03 AM   #25
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
That whole area down around Miami sucks as far as rent goes. Been there, done that. Don't want to do it again, though.

Interestingly, more information surfaces once you start discussing things further. If it's a temporary thing, then do what you can to keep the car. This looks like it's been going on for a while. Did you do ANY planning on where you'd get the money to continue your level of lifestyle? Or change your lifestyle? Get a room mate or two depending on your living arrangement and help cut some costs. I know that really sucks, but believe me, it will free up some much needed cash. Plus, as mentioned, get on a STRICT BUDGET.

I've been very fortunate to only have been unemployed for 2 weeks since I was 14 and got my first job. And those 2 weeks were my choice after leaving the military and "scheduled" to start the new job I landed 2 months before I got out to coincide with a 2-week vacation so I could move and then unwind back into civilian life. I've never left a job without already having one ready to go. I've only known not working for a while since we both retired in our 50s. But careful saving and paying off loans when we were much younger has helped us maintain our current lifestyle without missing a beat.

If you've been unemployed for 11 months, either 1) you haven't been looking too hard, 2) you're holding out for a job and/or pay that's the same or close to what you just had and don't want to "settle" (super bad idea), or 3) not figuring out that after 11 months, jobs you qualify for must be dried up, but you can MOVE to where a new job is.

I think you need to rethink a lot of things and be honest with yourself and face some hard truths. Miami is an exciting place, but you obviously can't continue to spend 60K per year without the 60K. Tighten the belt, and get a good plan. You obviously have time to think it through without a job. Granted, if you end up having to sell the car, consider that before you start borrowing the first dollar from ANYONE.

I find it hard to believe you could stay unemployed in the Miami area for 11 months if you're digging under every rock for a job. Improve your chances by improving yourself or be willing to accept something outside of your wheelhouse. By going outside the comfort zone you may even learn a new skill or two.

I do agree about family first, but I also agree with charging some interest for those that borrow money if it's not an emergency. I'm not talking about "Dad, can I borrow 20 bucks for lunch?" type things, I'm talking about stuff like 10K or substanial amounts. It should be one of life's teaching moments that NOTHING in this life is free. Unless you're undocumented. And if I was the parents, I'd get it in writing that your car would be collateral and hang on to the title for you. Then they could "sell" it back to you once you pay them back. I don't blame them for being hesitant. Don't want to be judgemental, but your parents probably know the situation way better than us. Did they give you any advice? If so, what?

That's all the Dad advice I can give you. It's pretty simple- Hunt job, get job. Or make your own job. Pay bills, reduce debt, and live within your means. Work hard and put money INTO a 401k, not take money out. Win at life.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote