View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 09:56 PM   #4
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
So I recently put 1LE spec wheels (MRR 017) on my 2SS (with MRC), I was going to lower it, but after looking at a slight bit of "poke" on my front wheels, I don't think I'm going to risk it because I think I am going to possibly have some rubbing issues and I do NOT want to risk that...
The suspension can go through its full range of motion right now without the tires rubbing, then lowering it and changing nothing won't make it rub. Lowering a vehicle just changes where along the range of suspension motion the car sits - the range of motion doesn't change and therefore the tire clearance doesn't change.

To the OP: I though the LT1 came with taller and softer springs and bars than the SS, but it will have the same suspension geometry. In fact, it will have the same geometry as the SS 1LE, too. So you can do the same lowering as they can. Since you don't have MRC dampers, it should be even easier.

My concern with lowering these cars is that most of the aftermarket spring sets available now don't have significantly higher spring rates than a stock 1LE. When you lower a car, it sits closer to its compression travel limit, and that means it's easier to bottom out on the stops if the spring rate isn't increased. That's neither comfortable nor good for handling. In your case, though, they probably are all stiffer than your stock LT1 springs.

It occurs to me that the cheapest and maybe easiest way to lower your car with an appropriately higher spring rate might be to just buy a set of SS 1LE springs. My only question is because the 1LE has MRC dampers: does anyone know if those spring diameters and spring ends are the same, so that they can interchange?