View Single Post
Old 01-17-2024, 06:03 PM   #73
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I watch a ton of throttle house and can tell you that they only did 5 laps in that model 3 performance. Thomas does 1 warm up lap, 1 cool down and 3 fast laps for EVERY car on that channel. I think the point people make about ev’s not being road course ready are true. You just can’t take them and do multiple 20-30 minute sessions. Most (probably all) ev’s don’t have the brakes to withstand that abuse. It takes too long to charge them back up when they run out of juice (which they will when being run that hard).

Fwiw I agree with everything else you have ever posted on these boards about ev’s and I am not someone who likes ev’s. In fact I like very little cars that don’t have at least 8 cylinders I personally don’t see myself in an ev until 10+ years from now. I have a home but I am waiting for “wave 2” of ev’s to come out because I feel all these ones out now are going to be seriously outdated. I also buy 7+ year old cars as daily’s.

I also acknowledge that manufacturers could care less if their ev’s can do road course work as I would say less than 1/100 of the population takes their vehicles on road courses.
You have a good point. The brakes would definitely be the weak point for most EVs in an HPDE environment. But as with an ICE, the brakes can be upgraded to handle the task. Probably not a lot of people doing that when there are so many other track ready cars out there. There is a guy that I see around here who autocrosses a Model 3 Performance and consistently gets better times than I get in my MR2. Probably more an indication of driver competence than car capability though

I don’t think the battery depletion is a thing, though, unless the battery gets super hot, and there is no indication that this is the case. Watching Plaid drag races, they spend about 3% of battery energy per 9 second quarter mile pass with no signs of overheating. At 3% that’s a lot of passes before you have to go find a charger. And then it’s 25 - 40 minutes to get back to about 80%.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote