View Single Post
Old 01-13-2024, 01:03 AM   #2
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I haven't broken any of my PAC .660 dual springs yet. I put in my TSP cam at around 85k and they sent me 2 sets of PAC .660 dual springs. I lost my valve seats around 15k miles later so I switched to a cam motion and changed the springs to the other .660 PAC set they gave me with my first cam. I did notice though a very small (1/8 in or so) piece did break off from one of the PAC .660 dual springs at the very bottom where it is ground flat but I didn't think much of it and just changed to the other set of PAC springs I had.

So I haven't broken any of the 2 sets but I haven't tried any other brands of springs on this motor though. I want to tear my motor back down again and go to a LS7 style lifter, even though I know everyone bashes them, I am just tired of the sewing machine sound with the Johnson lifters I have and I am assuming that's what's making the noise.

That being said, I have been sending my used oil off just because its cheap to test and I find it interesting to look at, but the results don't look good at all. My last oil change, although I did stretch it a little longer than some of the others does not look that great. I don't have any data though from other UOA's of modified engines, only stock engines to compare to, but even with a modified engine and valvetrain and even with an unstable valvetrain I'm not sure I should expect 10 times the amount of wear metals so it is worrying. I also wouldn't expect you would be able to pick up wear metal indicators from the springs, but I definitely think the main contributor to wear metals showing up would be the aggressive cam profile and maybe valve seat material. It definitely doesn't look like my valvetrain is under control, even after switching from the TSP cam to the cam motion, which I believe was at the 96,800 mile oil change.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-01-13 015121.png
Views: 323
Size:  110.7 KB

I also have been running the rotofab dry which worries me as well, my truck also has a cheap aftermarket dry filter with my turbo setup and I see the exact same results. When I put these aftermarket non-OEM/non-paper filters on the silicone goes up.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote