View Single Post
Old 09-20-2023, 09:57 AM   #10
Chris'ZL1

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Same issue I'm having

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
It appears that there may be an issue impacting the PDR GPS signal with many, most, or all after a certain date Camaros (with PDR). The issue appears to have started late in the 2022 model year the best I can tell.

The issue is a problem with the quality of the PDR GPS signal on its second use after a long period of no use. In other words, your PDR likely works fine at least once. It will continue to work for the remainder of that ignition cycle for as many videos as you'd like to record. However, if you turn the ignition off and within a few hours attempt to record another PDR video, you may notice that the GPS signal is weak or nonexistent. This, of course, is causing issues with any map overlays, lap timings, etc. If you let the car sit overnight, the PDR GPS will work perfectly once again for one ignition cycle. After that, the GPS signal quality is poor/non-existent. Unhooking the battery momentarily does not work, unfortunately. It seems the car must sit and enter a long sleep cycle before whatever is causing the issue resets. Sometimes I leave my car running between sessions just to have a working PDR.

Since late 2016, I've owned and tracked a 2017 Camaro ZL1 without any PDR issues. Last year I purchased both a 2023 Camaro SS 1LE and a 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE. Both new cars have the PDR issue described above.

On the 2023 SS, I have replaced the GPS antenna with a new antenna as well as the older revision that was in the 17 ZL1. Neither made a meaningful difference. I've tried two other PDR modules. One was from an early 2019 build and the other was from an early 2022 build. These two modules as well as the one that came with my car all have the same behavior.

I know of a couple of other people tracking newer Camaros and they are also having the same issue. If you're having this issue, please take your car to the dealership with sample PDR files and have the dealership contact GM. I believe the folks at GM are aware of the issue but perhaps don't know the cause just yet. The more cars we can get to the dealerships the more resources they'll put into fixing the problem.

If you are aware of this problem and have a workaround or solution, please share it.

I tracked my 23 ZL1 yesterday for the first time. PDR was acting crazy! GPS had my Map overlay all over the place. Sometimes it would finish a lap and restart Timer, but mostly it just made the session 1 continuous lap. Very dissapointing! I tried redefining the finish line before 2 other sessions and it did not help.
Attached Photos of Heartland Park map and what my overlay looked like
Attached Images

Chris'ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote