View Single Post
Old 08-15-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
KKamaro

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel LT1 M6
Borla Atak V6 LGX strange sound

Hi,

I tried searching for my specific issue, apologize if this is a repeat.

I have had my Borla Atak axle back on my 2019 1LT V6 for about 2K miles. The car has just under 9k on it. The sound has been awesome...until recently.

Pressing on the gas pedal still sounds great. However, the exhaust now sounds awful when letting off the accelerator. The best way I can describe it as similar to a tractor-trailer jake brake. Others have described Borla 'popping' sound but this seems more like rapid vibrating. Has anyone else experienced this? The car drives fine otherwise.

I have contacted Borla and been to a dealer twice. After sending muffler pics to Borla, the rep recommended I go to a local exhaust shop for further inspection. The dealer has inspected the underneath a few times, checked connections, and verified no exhaust leaks. Nothing appears to be wrong under there.

I have also read on forums that Borla exhausts have a 'break-in period'. I hope that this is not the resulting sound of breaking in. It is definitely different, strange, and almost embarrassing.

I will add that this seems to have started happening after I heard a metallic bang noise from underneath while driving down the highway. I didn't think much of that at the time...assumed I ran over something. The Borla rep also noticed some soot-like discoloring on the corners of the mufflers. Not sure if these things have anything to do with the problem. Could be a simple coincidence.

Any advice, insight, or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

Last edited by KKamaro; 08-16-2023 at 06:19 AM.
KKamaro is offline   Reply With Quote