View Single Post
Old 07-18-2023, 12:39 PM   #19
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
You guys are normally right on, but in this case, missed the mark.

And you should really know better than to simply post 60-0 distances.

Were both cars on the same tire? On the same surface? At the same temp?

How many times had each test been performed? Do they weigh the same? (surprisingly close, but the BW is slightly heavier)

One of the many benefits of CCM is that braking number STAYS THE SAME lap after lap after lap. You simply do not get fade.

Having tracked a 6th Gen 1LE/ZLE for 5+ years and now having tracked the Blackwing for the last year on the same tracks, I can tell you the CCM performance is stunningly good. It's exactly why it was offered on the Z/28, C7Z and now C8Z.

Even bigger benefit with the Gen2 CCM (on Blackwing and C8Z) is much longer rotor life when tracking.
Of course there are plenty of additional factors that go into that braking test, that is stating the obvious. I didn't think I had to go into that great of deal to explain why I agreed with OP's decision to switch. I just wanted to warn people who might be looking at this as a performance upgrade.

If the CCM was that significant of an upgrade for the ZL1 1LE, GM wouldn't have scrapped that option prior to production. It was so close to production that the tooling was already created and they were ready to produce them...

My point is this: A CCM rotor/Pad combo of the exact same packaging dimensions of a steel rotor combo has less braking capability. CCM rotors have extremely low thermal conductivity compared to steel. The reason they are much larger than their steel counterparts on the same vehicle is because you need the additional surface area on the rotor to distribute heat from the constant braking force.

When you keep them within their operating ranges, they are consistently great like you stated. When you overheat a CCM rotor, you burn up/oxidize the face of the rotor and ruin them.

To achieve the same peak braking force while maintaining safety in a CCM, they need to be physically larger than their steel equivalents.

To summarize, the OEM ZL1 brake setup is a more capable braking setup for peak braking performance although it will heat soak fairly easy in stock trim. With a quick pad and fluid change, 99% of drivers will not reach the fade point of this steel setup. If skilled drivers swapped to a CCM setup of the exact dimensions as stock and pushed their brakes to the limit of their steel setup, they would likely torch the rotor to the point of no return extremely quickly.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote