View Single Post
Old 07-12-2023, 10:52 AM   #807
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Inventory is actually not that straight forward… Many of the EVs that are sitting in inventory are on the more expensive end. Hummer EV, Genesis G80 (which I think is a PHEV) actually shows 784 units in inventory. That’s 23 days supply, not 350 (chart below). The Audis are (in my opinion) way over-priced, considering what’s already available as direct competition. In the case of the Hummer, I think it’s a combination of 3 things…
  1. GM is reallllly slow in rolling them out so the average sales numbers are very low, making any inventory high in terms of days on hand.
  2. At the price for the only variant available (@ $111k) everybody who wants one has one. They really need to work on bringing out the lower cost variants ($70 - 90k)
  3. People who recognize that the upcoming Silverado is basically the same truck only much cheaper.
Some of the other more reasonably priced EVs Wyzz Kidd mentioned are sitting on the lots because of the Inflation Reduction Act. They are all imported and don’t qualify for the incentive. Even so, the industry position for Ioniq 5 is right on industry average. Ioniq 6 is still in launch mode and I think only available in CARB compliant states. More reasonably priced EVs that qualify for the IRA incentives are flying off the lots. Bolt and Bolt EUV each have about 30 day supplies. Mach E inventory has dropped from 112 days inventory at the end of May to 83 days at the end of June, so Ford may have been telling the truth. There may also be some build ahead in preparation for a likely strike. There are other Ford nameplates that look like they are building ahead.

And then there’s Tesla. Hard to include them because they are in a class of their own wrt EV sales. As docwra stated, Model Y is the top selling vehicle in the world. Period. And now that Tesla has again dropped prices on Model 3 and Model Y the gap is likely to widen.
Sorry, but this statement is incorrect, and the logic is flawed. The Model Y is not the top selling vehicle. That honor goes to a real vehicle, not a sewing machine, the Ford F150, followed by the Chevy Silverado and the Dodge Ram.

Furthermore I note that you said the reason these other sewing machines aren't selling well is because they don't qualify for the incentive (a nice way of saying government subsidy paid for by the taxpayer). Essentially your argument supports my contention. If EVs had to participate on a level playing field they would fail. If the government weren't trying to pick winners and losers we wouldn't even be having this conversation because Tesla wouldn't exist nor would any of the other sewing machines.

This isn't a slam by the way, I respect your well thought out and well informed statements, I just think your biased, which is understandable given your background.

BTW, I agree with your statement about these things being overpriced, they certainly are. Buyers get an inferior product at an inflated price because the government is meddling in the market AND because the cost of producing these monstrosities is sky high and likely to increase.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote