View Single Post
Old 04-07-2023, 01:04 PM   #4
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Comments on a couple of your points below:

Jack Pads: I have the ZL1 Addons JackPads, made out of billet aluminum here in the USA. My personal opinion is I would spend the money on a brand that is pretty well respected here on the forum for something where your life is on the line (being under the car while its jacked up). I believe they're around $100.

PPF: Definitely recommend PPF on the whole front of the car + rocker panels like jamala00 did. Important to note, before PPF I would recommend a full paint correction (compound + polish) done on the areas that are getting PPF'd. If the paint is swirled or scratched in any way, laying the PPF over that is just gonna lock in the imperfections until you take off the PPF and paint correct it. It may seem expensive for a quality paint correction but it is 100% worth it before PPF.

*Also a note on PPF: Chevrolet paint is notoriously thin and very finicky (professionally detailed for about a decade), and there has been many times where I have seen installers removing PPF to replace it with newer film and have the paint peel right off the car with the PPF. If you decide to do the PPF by yourself, it can be done with time and patience as others have mentioned, but ensure you are using the correct processes to install. On the flip side, if you ever decide to remove the PPF and replace it, definitely take your time and use a heat gun/steam gun to your advantage to make the removal process easier and lessen the risk of peeling paint. This is a fairly common problem on GM vehicles (mostly their trucks), but I have seen it on a few vettes/camaros.

Ceramic Coating: Definitely a contested topic in the detailing/car world. I personally think its 100% worth it. As I mentioned earlier, GM paint is pretty poor quality and can use all the help it can to stay in great shape for a long time (if you plan to keep the car for an extended period of time). Not only is a ceramic coating gonna provide great hydrophobic (water beading) and self cleaning properties, the main benefits of a ceramic coating are chemical resistance, UV resistance, swirl resistance, and increased gloss. Seeing your location is AZ, this would be a huge benefit (in my opinion) to your car. I'm in Vegas and see similar weather to AZ, and my camaro has been PPF'd and coated since new. The coating has significantly reduced the time I need to wash the car, stays cleaner for longer, and ultimately protects against the very hard water and acidic rain that we have in the Valley. The UV protection is a great added bonus to protect against clear coat fade and oxidation. Finally, its important to use a quality installer and quality products, like any industry there are horrible products out there likely at a cheap price that contain none of the actual benefits of ceramic coating. A properly produced ceramic coating and application can give you up to 5 years of protection if maintained properly. I personally would recommend Gtechniq CSL and Gtechniq EXOv4, a multiple layer system that will give you up to 5 years of protection, great hydrophobics, and swirl resistance. Finally, if you are doing both PPF and Ceramic Coating, make sure you do the Ceramic Coating ON TOP of the PPF, not the other way around. The PPF will begin to peel if installed over ceramic coating, and display none of the ceramic coating benefits. Also, like I mentioned with PPF, I would highly recommend getting your car paint corrected before doing a ceramic coating if you decide to go that route. Any paint imperfections/swirls will be locked in under the ceramic coating after application, so you want to make sure you're working with a "perfect canvas" for lack of better words. (And yes, it is very common for vehicles to come swirled/scratched straight off the dealership floor due to improper handling by dealers and the environments faced when the car is transported to the dealer).

Of course, like jamala00 said, take all these opinions with a grain of salt. I completely understand why people swear by ceramic coatings, and why people swear against them. Up to you to determine if the benefits are proportionate to the cost and if its something you're interested in. Most importantly, enjoy your new ride!
SpecialPurpose_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote