View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 04:57 PM   #221
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
That’s a bit harsh as the Alpha architecture was a big try.

But as I’ve retold what I was told, GM never did a traditional clinic on the Gen6. They just asked a small group of known enthusiasts what they wanted in the Gen6 and the answer was more Gen5.

Traditionally you would ask everyone including your potential conquest customers what they wanted. GM asked a captive audience. Kind of like going into the pizza business and then asking the pepperoni pizza club and asking “how do you like your pizza”. Ummmmmm with more pepperoni!

It was too focused and lacked the broad appeal of the Mustang (who also NEVER advertised) and the Challenger, both of which are still limited appeal as the coupe market is all but dead.

So yes, GM did this to themselves. They created the best Camaro ever at the expense of growth in the segment.
The Alpha is the part they did right and it was a Cadillac platform. When your competition is pushing 800 horsepower, flat plane cranks and DTCs, you have to bother updating your car but I feel like the 6th gen was dead the minute it was launched. It feels like the ZLE came out forever ago and that was just a package on the ZL1. It wasn’t even a separate trim level. Ford and Dodge both invested in their cars. GM seemed to have zero interest in the success of Camaro.