View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 07:55 AM   #8
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezos View Post
They built more 2SS than they did 1SS. I didn't expect that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
What I find interesting is that they built, by percentage, more autos in the 2SS than they did in the 1SS. In fact, they built more 2SS coupes with the auto transmission than they did for all 1SS coupes.

Maybe this is because more people who bought a loaded 2SS (with all the extra amenities) were less interested in the engagement that a manual offers? Or it could be argued that, since the auto is faster, they wanted the "best" as far as both interior/exterior and performance?
I'm not surprised that more 2SS than 1SS were built, or that a higher percentage of 2SS are autos. The 2SS is considered the more luxurious/upscale version of the SS. I suspect more 2SS owners daily drive them, or the car is their primary vehicle as compared to 1SS owners. I'm not saying that is the case with everyone, just the majority of folks. I purchased a 1SS 1LE because I wanted max performance, but didn't need (nor want to pay for) all the bells and whistles of the 2SS, as my car isn't a daily driver.

A deeper dive into the numbers supports this. Seventy-seven percent of 22 2SS coupes were built with automatic transmissions. And only 29% of the 22 2SS coupes have the 1LE package. Compare those numbers with the 22 1SS cars. Forty-seven percent of 1SS coupes were built with the 1LE package. And 62% of 1SS coupes were built with an auto trans.

The manual transmission numbers are interesting to me. We all know that fewer and fewer people know how to drive a manual transmission car, much less want one. Typically only enthusiasts want a manual, but even some of those folks don't want one in a daily driver. More than one-third (38%) of the 22 1SS coupes are manuals compared to 23% of the 2SS cars. I suspect, but can't confirm from these numbers, that the percentage of manual transmissions is higher on 1LE cars than on the regular SS cars. And with fewer and fewer cars even available with a manual we are lucky the Camaro still has one available.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)

Last edited by ZPirate; 03-01-2023 at 11:14 AM.
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote