View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 03:59 PM   #3
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
From owning some form of LS-powered M6 car since I was 16, I had been itching to get back into the car hobby throughout my 7 years living in NYC. I had always been into drag racing from a young age, lots of racing at the local strips, but also a lot of late night street racing (which I certainly don't condone! Do as I say, not as I do/did )

I bought the ZLE with the intention to get into HPDE. One of my best friend's father had been doing events with PCA for 20+ years. He's had a bunch of different Porsche track cars over the years, but currently tracks a 991 GT3. His son (my buddy) and he share that car for track events. Getting into HPDE took a little longer than expected, however. Did you guys hear there was (is?) a pandemic that started in 2020? The only mod I did in 2020 was add ZL1addons Lift Pads. Otherwise, just general maintenance. No track days, unfortunately.

I ultimately got to my first HPDE event in May 2021. In preparation for that event, I had my local dealership do a track alignment -- worst decision ever. I now only let a speed shop I trust do my alignment. The dealership had no idea what they were doing and mangled up the blue nuts at the top of the struts. The idiot tech didn't realize there is alignment pin -- he was trying to muscle it without taking out the pin. Lesson learned. I also flushed my OEM brake fluid for Motul RBF 660 before the track weekend.

Anyway, I did the 3 day HPDE event with PCA at Watkins Glen in May 2021 and absolutely fell in love with track days. Very different than drag racing -- the adrenaline rush is so prolonged! I found my new passion.

My best lap that weekend was 2:12.46 which is not quick by any means, but a LOT faster than when I started the weekend. I went back to Watkins Glen in October 2021 and -- was slower! 2:14.21 was the best I could muster. No worries though -- I still had (and still do have!) a lot to learn and was working on good fundamentals with my instructors.

Once I got back from my first HPDE weekend in May 2021, I bought a QuickJack (highly highly recommend if you wrench on your own car!) and a second set of wheels -- BC Forged RZ05 in stock ZLE sizes. I realized I didn't want to waste my GY SC3Rs driving to and from the track, so I put a set of PS4S tires on the BC Forged wheels and relegated my stock wheels for track duty with SC3Rs.

Some pics below prepping for and during my first track weekend. And a shot doing a service after the event on my new QuickJack.
Attached Images

PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube

Last edited by RamAir02; 01-05-2023 at 08:02 PM.
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote