View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #1017
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Ok, looks like custom springs are possible.
Just a thought: this might be worthy of its own thread.

Quote:
Also if anyone knows OEM SLE and ZLE rates off the top of their head let me know, I haven't had a chance to research that yet.
This is a good question, but the answer seems...complicated for some reason. This thread tried to delve into it, but you'll see from my questions that I'm not sure it has the SS 1LE rates and SS rates correct. I wondered if they had those two cars' rear rates accidently flipped. I think it's correct on the ZLE rates, though. Maybe that's enough. There is supporting evidence about the ZLE rates from Chevy themselves, when they introduced the ZLE aftermarket kit: see the increase in rates they spec in the second pic of this thread. Finally, one can look at the test results from Powell's YYZ spring comparison charts, where the yellow line is the ZLE spring rate in each graph (one front, one rear). I'm linking Wildhammer's site because you can zoom in on the small graphs. I don't think we ever solved the puzzle of what springs each of the other lines on the graph are.

Quote:
I am thinking something like 1.7x OEM rates, 5/8" drop up front, 1" in back (accounts for Vorshlag plates, and camber reduces ride height a bit too).
My other suggestion would be to stay away from progressive rates. Linear rates are the preferred route for a car without significant ground effects down force. There's a lot of belief in voodoo out there, but simpler is better in this case.