View Single Post
Old 08-26-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
PowerDemon

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Golf GTI
PowerDemon’s ’22 ZL1 Build Journal

Hello all,

I am coming to the Camaro platform from a Golf GTI. It is still my daily but the Camaro will be taking my mod focus from now on. Currently the Golf has a hybrid turbocharger, low pressure fuel pump, high pressure fuel pump, downpipe, intake, and a bigger intercooler. The car makes around 400whp on pump gas and runs pretty good. It only weighs 3040lbs so that 400 horsepower goes a long ways. If any of you are curious about the details of that car see my build thread here.

I started looking into RWD coupes looking for a platform I could grow into a bit more. I could have pushed more power out of the Golf but I would have been looking at a built motor and a lot more money for diminishing returns. Also at the end of the day its FWD, so I knew I needed something RWD and had the potential for big power. It had to be manual as well which limited my options. I looked at Mustangs primarily, but I was thoroughly unimpressed when I test drove one. It understeered like crazy and the seating position was so high I felt I was sitting in an SUV.

I ended up with a Camaro ZL1. With the used market how it is I knew I had to buy new. I couldn’t stomach over sticker prices on used cars with 5k miles. I looked at SS 1LE cars as I wouldn’t mind choosing my own blower, but I can't stand the facelift. I ordered my car in March though Koons Chevrolet in Tysons Corner, VA. The car was built in April but it wasn’t delivered until July. I ordered it Riverside Blue, red seatbelts, and with a manual transmission. I picked it up with 5 miles on it.

So far I love the car. It is everything I expected and more. It is just such a complete package. I finished the first 500 miles of the break in and changed the engine oil and differential oil. I finally got to go WOT last night after the service and I have to say wow. It really is a fantastic machine.

I regrettably obtained my first rock chip around 400 miles, so I immediately took reactive measures. I have an appointment next week with my local detail shop to fix the chip and have Xpel PPF applied on the full front, rockers, and rear fender. I also installed the ZL1 Addons Deluxe rock guards. Hopefully these measures will preserve the paint for many miles to come.

Thanks for reading and I hope to keep you all updated.

1100 03/08/22
2000 03/22/22
3400 TPW 4/11 3/28/22
4300 5/7/22
Delivered 7/19/22
Attached Images

Last edited by PowerDemon; 09-05-2022 at 10:56 PM.
PowerDemon is offline   Reply With Quote