View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 11:19 PM   #8
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
My take on ice mode. I have been autocrossing my 2013 Camaro SS since 2014. Once I started upgrading to sticky tires and better brake pads, I developed ice mode off and on for the next year at least every other event. I can tell you what I found out. I was a two foot driver and using both feet caused me to transition between gas and brake pedal actions too quick. Meaning, I would get off the gas too hot and then stab the brake pedal a little too hard. I was not smooth. Pressing the brake pedal firmly and modulating the pressure ended my ice mode as I was no longer getting on the binders too hard. Another smaller thing I noticed is that if the course is bumpy or if you get the car “light” right before you apply the brake , that is a no no too. Don’t top a crest on course and then need to get hard on the binders before the car can settle in. You should just brake early and just give up speed at that element on course. Now on the road courses, I never experienced ice mode and I brake pretty hard on some courses. I sometimes activate the ABS pretty good and by the 3rd ABS tire chirp or so I am usually getting off the brake and rolling thru the turn.

I changed my tire diameter to 19” and also went square setup on tires. I hear depending on diameter differences when you change tires it could effect ice mode but I haven’t seen that in mine. However I have seen many of my friends ice mode their Corvette because they tried to square up their tires.

Hope this helps but we all have experienced ice mode if you drive the Camaro like it should be driven. You just learn to adapt from GMs misguided programming.