View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 03:43 PM   #48
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
GM had specific goals for the LT4, and the small 1.74L, harder hitting, faster spinning blower met their OEM goals. They felt the LS9 in the C6 ZR1 didn't make enough low end torque, so they were able to fill in that low-end torque, lighten the engine, make the engine shorter in height, and make a few extra hp with the LT4 over the LS9. OEM goals met. I don't think they were that concerned about what the aftermarket could or couldn't do with the blower once it left the factory.

They couldn't have stuck the LT5 in the ZL1 "in the first place" because the LT5 didn't debut in the ZR1 until after the 6th gen ZL1 had been in production for a couple of years. Plus, they weren't going to put the halo of all halo GM engines (LT5) in a Camaro in 2017 and not the Z06. I don't blame them for saving room for a ZR1. There is a pecking order and the ZR1 is on top. Camaro has an advantage in that the good stuff from the Corvette trickles down. e.g. LT1, LT4, etc., which I'm thankful for. There's also the economy of scales also with sharing the engine blocks with the V8 trucks.

The ZL1 and top dog at the time C7 Z06 co-existed for a couple of years with the same power ratings, so they didn't really sand bag it alongside the Z06. And the ZL1 is currently the most powerful GM product (until the C8 Z06 comes out with an extra 20 hp), and tied for the 2nd most powerful of all time.

I'm guessing you meant to say that the ZL1 is the most powerful Chevy product as the CT5 BW and now the GMC Hummer exist (even if some people scoff at 1000 electric HP, HP is HP IMO).

I agree completely with the rest. We have the most powerful Camaro ever made, and currently the highest HP rated Chevy product. And we aren't having to pay crazy amounts for that power.

On a side note, my neighbor with the C8 has inexplicably traded it in for an older model Z06. I guess he'd rather have the higher HP number over a car that can do more with less. In all fairness, he leaves his summer only tire outfitted cars out in frigid temperatures, so he's most likely the superficial type.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote