View Single Post
Old 03-15-2022, 09:29 PM   #8556
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
You're over on the Mustang forum...have you been noticing any threads related to issues with the GT500? Or have you noticed talk concerning problems with those cars more so that issues and problems with the ZL1 on this forum? Because again, to me it just seems like there are a lot of issues with the Shelby. And this is not coming from a place of criticism. It's more for general knowledge. If there are an alarming amount of issues with these cars then the main impact to me will be that mine will remain stock to stock-ish. If the issues are such that Ford will not have a problem with owners who did minor stuff like a tune, LTs, and pulley, then I might consider taking my chances at some point in the future. But the thing is, I never had to question the reliability and durability of the Camaros I've owned. Or the Mustang GTs or my Hellcat. But I'm a little more reserved about modding the GT500 beyond what can burn my warranty.

I wonder if Ford could have put the A10 in the Base GT500 and then kept the 7 DCT for the CF version. Or if they could have/should have just stuck with the A10 altogether. It seems that the biggest performance hindrance of them is that 7 speed DCT. I think it is fine in the C8. But it just seems like it is holding the GT500 back. I would like to see a comparison one day with someone who can swap in the A10 with a tune and compare it to the 7 DCT with a tune. It would be cool to see if the A10 would have indeed been the better performance choice.

And speaking of the trans, it appears there is a company that does M6 conversions for the GT500. I'm sure that would totally void the warranty and it would likely take someone who is very adventurous to take that on. I certainly wouldn't want my floorboards cut up and other interior modifications to mate a stick shift and clutch pedal inside the car. But it would be interesting to see how it performs.
I'm not really sure. I know there was some early build QC issues that may or may not have been solved by now (e.g. kinked intercooler hoses, incorrectly routed wiring harnesses, and others, all on the same car). The usual Mustang build quality issues like panel alignment/gaps, etc., exist on the GT500 as well. I don't really remember reading much about engine failures or major engine issues on stock cars.

I doubt the DCT 7 speed is holding it back. Ford would have used the A10 (or a beefed up one, similar to the ZL1 A10) if the A10 was better. The DCT was heavier and more expensive, but I think it was a performance improvement. It just has a bit longer gearing than the A10, but it's powerful enough and revs high enough to where it isn't holding it back. If anything, like owners' claim, it's amazing and a bright spot in the impressive GT500 powertrain. 4th gear is 1.10:1 so it's geared a little shorter than a typical 6 speed manual. It roasts the tires in 1st gear anyway, so shorter gearing wouldn't help it (3.73s out back). I'm glad the ZL1 has a 2.85:1 rear diff. Shorter gearing wouldn't do it any favors, either.

Ford will deny warranty to affected areas due to any mods, even cold air intakes. So I'd be really careful. Gains are probably minimal, and you're risking a VERY expensive engine (more expensive than an LT4).

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote